Sunday, September 13, 2009
Assignment #1
I interviewed two guys whose names are Thomas and Jonathan, respectively. I found it interesting to compare two responses from each person.
a) Thomas : At orientation 2 weeks ago, he struck up a conversation about computer program.
Jon : In a convenient market, he struck up a conversation about local politic.
b) Thomas : always shakes hands.
Jon : generally shakes hands, 'cause he thinks it as a kind of customary thing.
But not always. It depends on person.
c) Thomas : Never. He referred to "how do you do?" as old English.
Jon : has never seen anyone have told "how do you do?". Instead, he says "how are you?".
d) Thomas : always stands up when he shakes hands to greet anyone.
Jon : stands up only if it is a formal situation related to business. He did not stand up when he met his professor for the first time.
e) Thomas : (I didn't recognize "Note" about location, so I failed to be answered.)
Jon : is a social person who likes a enjoyable place like a bar.
f) Thomas : might strike up a conversation asking homework of his classmate.
Jon : questions how his/her weekend was to begin a conversation.
* For myself
g) I think that a conversation with a stranger is very challenging and worth good enough. Since I might not see him/her again, I don't have to care seriously about it. On the top of that, I really enjoy something new. To experience something new makes me challenge to have a conversation. It will obviously help me to get used to all kinds of things that might happen again to me someday.
h) About a week ago, I saw one woman finding someone who can take a picture for her. Her friends were standing in front of Nittany Lion Shrine, but nobody passed by them because it was late night on Labor's Day. Riding my bicycle, I asked her if she needed help. She and her friends told me that they thanked me repeatedly over again. As you imagine, it seemed they looked for someone who can take a picture for so long. It was a piece of cake for me, but I was glad to help them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, Gang. comparing two interviewees' respones is such a good idea. I like that you actively interviewed them. That's great job.^^
ReplyDeleteHow can you find it challenging to start a conversation with strangers? You did such a great talk, Gang! It is a good idea to compare the thinking of different person.
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting to compare the two interviewees. As I listened to your interview, I should have had several interviews for comparison. Anyway, it's great and interesting.
ReplyDeleteI did not know that Americans regard "How do you do" as old english though I know that they seldom use it. Very interesting!
ReplyDelete